31st International Trade Fair for Organic Food BIOFACH 2020 the world’s leading event of the organic sector, took place on February 12-15 in Nuremberg, Germany. 3’792 exhibitors from more than 110 countries, more than 47 thousand visitors from 136 countries. It is a place that unites not only producers, but also passionate connoisseurs of organic food, who meet, exchange contacts, sign contracts, and this since 1990. For the seventh year in a row, Ukraine is presented at the BIOFACH within the framework of the National Pavilion of Ukraine, organized by the Organic Ukraine Non-Governmental Organisation of Producers of Organic Certified Products this time. This year, 37 Ukrainian exhibiting companies took part in the trade fair within the National Pavilion of Ukraine (Organic Ukraine Business Hub), International Trade Center (ITC) stand and as individual exhibitors.
The main task of the National Pavilion of Ukraine is to increase the world’s interest to and strengthen confidence in the Ukrainian organic sector. 18 exhibitors at the National Pavilion of Ukraine successfully presented their organic products and services, including finished products, raw materials for further processing, fertilizers for organic production, consulting and certification services in the organic sector. The novelties of the National Pavilion of Ukraine were the corn sticks and snacks, which correspond to world consumption trends. In total, during the 4 days of the trade fair, the exhibiting companies held about 650 meetings, 50% of which were assessed by them as those that could lead to singing contracts.
The National Pavilion of Ukraine and its events within the BIOFACH 2020 were possible thanks to the support of Switzerland within the framework of the Swiss-Ukrainian Program “Higher Value Added Trade from the Organic and Dairy Sector in Ukraine” implemented by the Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL, Switzerland) in partnership with SAFOSO AG (Switzerland); USAID Competitive economy program (CEP); Ukraine Horticulture Business Development Project (UHBDP), implemented by MEDA Ukraine (Mennonite Economic Development Associates) and funded by the Global Affairs Canada (GAC).
Ukraine was also represented at a high political level. Deputy Minister for Development of Economy, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine – Trade Representative of Ukraine, Mr Taras Kachka headed the official study tour delegation of representatives of the Ukrainian state authorities, namely the Ministry for Development of Economy, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine, State Service of Ukraine on Food Safety and Consumer Protection and the Export Promotion Office of Ukraine State Institution to the BIOFACH 2020. The study tour for government officials was supported by Switzerland within the framework of the Swiss-Ukrainian Program “Higher Value Added Trade from the Organic and Dairy Sector in Ukraine” implemented by the Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL, Switzerland) in partnership with SAFOSO AG (Switzerland).
- National Pavilion of Ukraine, http://organicukraine.org.ua/en/events/organichub/
- Catalog of Ukrainian exhibitors at the BIOFACH 2020, http://organicukraine.org.ua/ou-guidebook-2020/
- Central and Eastern Europe session: Organic policy and the CAP, plans and strategies in the CEE Countries (BIOFACH Congress Session), https://www.biofach.de/en/events/vortrag/organic-policy-and-the-new-cap-plans-and-strategies-in-the-cee-countries/742172#top
- Control Bodies Round Table: The Organic Law of Ukraine and its requirements for Organic Control Bodies within the framework of the BIOFACH 2020, https://www.biofach.de/de/events/vortrag/cb-round-table-the-organic-law-of-ukraine-and-its-requirements-for-organic-control-bodies/742153
- Organic market in Ukraine Factsheet (as of 12.02.2020),